Search this Topic:
06/01/2017 2:36 PM
06/01/2017 2:41 PM
AMSnell wrote:This is complete nonsense, it's unbelievable the opinions some people put on the internet, backed up by absolutely no evidence.
Fact is, only a very few people have heard the JMOD yet. Having an opinion on it is absolutely rubbish. Youtube warriors at their finest.
Calling the JMOD "Average build at best" because of the gutshots, hahahahaha. You referring to that Instagram photo Bomba? Again, such nonsense. Anyone with serious experience with electronics and amplifiers knows that there are several points that need to be made here, including, but not limited to: -
1) We haven't inspected the amp. We don't know.
2) Doug Sewell makes BRILLIANT amplifiers.
3) The main complaint with PCB's is that they warp. The 5 board design here is positive.
4) Then we could come onto the PCB vs PTP vs Handwired argument. Tell you what, a good handwired amplifier will go wrong a lot more often than a good PCB. As far as sound, there is no difference. Anyone with a basic understanding of electronics knows this. Where things like resistance and impedance are the same on a PCB trace and a handwired amps wiring, they will sound the same. Components are much more important, especially their tolerances. Even some good components can have a 20% tolerance, thus leading to very good amps and not so good ones using the same component. If you can give me some ideas of the origin of the caps, resistors etc in here, I'd love to know.
Look - People can say that because I have a JMOD I'm biased, but I'm completely not, I give you every guarantee I will tell you if the things shit. I think that suggesting that this amps build quality is bad or average is completely misleading where no evidence exists (except an instagram photo) and also recommending other amps where you have not played A) the amp in question or B) half of the other amps brands you're recommending is absolutely laughable, sorry.
Time will tell how good this amplifier is. One individual may not like it, cool, personal taste and variety is fantastic, but making such blanket statements based on zilch is absolutely ridiculous.
Moving onto why Mayer isn't using this amp today, lets consider a number of factors.
1) This is his home gig. MUCH easier for him to get something different out. If I was playing at a local venue, I'd be much more likely to get the good gear out over a national tour.
2) Recent performances have seen Mayer playing JMOD's, Dual Professional, Two-Rocks, SSS's, Overdrive Specials, Fender Deluxes, I could go on. It's pretty clear the dude likes to try out different gear. This is represented in his guitars, pedalboards, which have been changing virtually every night, and his amps.
The quote "You can also tell Mayer is little by little replacing them for better sounding amps" implies a pattern. What pattern have you seen? One gig with an amp and it's "PRETT DAMN CLEAR GUYS" he's replacing the amp? Honestly, what a ridiculous viewpoint. I wore a different suit today than yesterday, newsflash, it's not because I'm phasing the other suit out.
06/01/2017 2:43 PM
AMSnell wrote:Oh, and there are two HPD's in the UK. I know both owners. Who's did you play Bomba?
06/01/2017 7:56 PM
06/01/2017 8:44 PM
06/02/2017 2:02 AM
LoopyBullet wrote:Huh? I don't really think much of that. He uses that amp combination on TSFE tour when the trio set emerges. Two different amps for different flavors. FWIW...my opinion is that out of the three concerts I've been to (Trio, B&R, and TSFE), this has been the best tone. They're all somewhat similar tones, but this one cuts like no other and is just great!
06/05/2017 9:45 AM
06/05/2017 1:56 PM
AMSnell wrote:Being told July again
06/08/2017 3:43 PM
06/09/2017 11:48 PM
06/12/2017 9:45 AM
06/13/2017 3:33 PM
06/13/2017 4:50 PM
06/17/2017 6:12 AM
06/20/2017 4:24 AM
06/24/2017 7:52 PM
06/24/2017 10:00 PM
06/25/2017 4:01 AM
06/25/2017 11:40 AM
© 2017 Yuku. All rights reserved.